The day before Xmas

Today, the nerves have come and go. I decided to be zen with my first venture to the canteen alone. I half looked for anyone to ask to join but no one was in sight and those who were, I didnt recognize.

I put on the coat, grabbed A Movable Feast and headed to feast. I spotted the roasted tomatoes and headed directly towards them. There were other things being served behind the same counter that were running out. The server said something to me which must have meant the pasta is gone but I stood tall and starred daringly into the plentiful supply of tomatoes. I said I wanted two, he gave me four, I gave him back one. There was some salami and yogurt and I took two clementines for a snack.

I headed towards the main eating section and saw a woman alone reading. I thought Ok, not so bad. So I found a table which gave me a full view of whose coming and going, sat, scanned the room for a familiar face or a cute guy and proceeded to read. I felt like mostly the foreigners were left behind. The room scan looked like a Jackson heights grocery store minus the children. I suppose southeast asia is expensive and far for just one day. And I'm guessing most of them could care less about santa or claus.

I probably could have finished the book in one sitting but I only have a few books with me and they are super expensive here so I stopped before I couldnt stop. Of course upon arrival back at the office, I am greeted by a coworker asking if I had lunch yet. Earlier before I left he rushed by in a coat so I figured he left already. But he was sweet enough to ask if I wanted to join and he also seemed worried that I ate alone. Dammit these people pay attention to detail. Either that or they don't often get new employees. I feel terribly loved here.

My mind is wandering here at work. I have 15 more ground truths to complete. This means I need to check the quality of the registration software. That means that that two radiology scans are overlaid (CT, MR, PET, etc) and I need to check it, then save the results which are in the form of some quantification table called a "ground truth".

The truth is, without a proper phone, I have no idea what day or time it is. This led me to forget my stepfathers birthday. I felt so bad that I wrote him a letter. I told him how sorry I was to forget his birthday and how great he is and how he's a good father and I also stuffed some portions of how I think he's depressed and needs to cheer up and get off his ass and start doing shit to make himself feel better. I hope he doesn't get mad but I was quick to "disclaim" that I am the child with the heart on the sleeve while he locks away every possible emotion.

I'm alone at the office. I'm the dj, the sound controller, the light controller, the office furniture mover, the rearrange expert. I'm happy.

:)

0 comments: