For the New Yorkers

Each time I witness it, I am in disbelief. Seriously, its like nothing you have ever seen. I may have mentioned in a previous post how Parisians do not share the New York sentiments of impatience. But I am witnessing this more and more. Each moment when you expect rolled eyes, screaming, horns honking...it just doesn't happen. The people in public service you automatically expect poor treatment from constantly suprise me by smiling, caring, taking their time and even looking you in the eye when you speak to them. Its insanity.

You are greeted every time you enter the grocery store. There are people in the front that actually stop and get coffee (standing up and hanging out) IN the grocery store as if its a fun place to be.

Bank tellers, bus riders, secretaries at work, even HIGH SCHOOL kids being roudy will still move out of your way and nicely, politely ask you for cigarettes and the time of day. Its like another world.

The main thing is that people are really genuinely nice from what I have observed so far. And while the occasional New Yorker would definately go out of their way to help you (of course), I am witnessing this here almost all day long and I cant help but search for the sarcasm in each "Bonjour"........

the main detail is how damn good you feel after being treated nicely, the way you wish you were treated by default. kinda warms the inside heart/cardiac area. Below the neck, but above the intestines.

Very warm.

0 comments: