The friday report

So I copied Elizabeth Gilbert last night and met up with a native (French) man to begin a casual exchange of languages. She talked about this in her book Eat, Pray, Love. Only she was in Italy. But as fearful as I was to even take the meeting, it was pretty much perfect well with the exception of me. haha. Let me begin by saying on the way to the "financier" (a bar) I saw this cute guy give money to a homeless person and briefly wondered if that could be the man I'm meeting but he said he would be in a grey coat and this man had a dark black coat on. Well about 5 seconds later in the bar, it WAS the same man. And even though he may have a color handicap he was terribly cute.

So instantly I felt better as he was not the monster I pictured in my mind. We talked about everything. So then he suggested food which i KNEW would be impossible with my nerves but we went to a creperie which was like 1 block away from my new place and I dont know why I suddenly trusted this man so much (the two glasses of wine could have something to do with it) but I decided to show him my new apartment! Plus I'm so eager to show it off. But the hords of you have just rolled your eyes, YES, and the word stupid has probably rolled off your tongue because what on earth was I thinking!! I mean he didnt kill me or even try to kill me. In fact, we had a long discussion about the lack of space for my appliances. It was very normal. He's very normal (so far). Anyway, after that, we stood there and I was still very nervous and I didnt know what to do, so I stuck out my hand to shake his and he essentially pushed it aside for the double cheek kiss and then he proceeded to tell me we should hang out again certainly and then he threw in "Actually I have a girlfriend for the moment" haha. I didn't quite know what to make of that sentence and specifically "for the moment" Perhaps he doesnt think it will last? Perhaps its a language barrier? But his English was quite good and I didn't think he would say that wrong.

Anyway, he suggested a museum. I was actually relieved he had a girlfriend in a way. It made being friends much easier. I also feel that it takes the pressure away. So it was a wonderful night even if I greately insulted his people (He's from Brittany) and didn't eat any crepes. Or as he calls them: "Galette" and apparently this is what I should be calling them if I plan to fit in to my new neighboorhood.

History Lesson by Me:
Briefly, I will be living in Montparnasse. As I understand it, a very long time ago tons of Galette farmers/makers from Britanny would travel/migrate to Paris and the train from that part of France (Northwest) would always go directly into the Gare Montparnasse and since they didnt stray far from the Gare, they settled near there and now you have like a million creperies all over my neighboorhood. I've been to two of these creperies so far and I feel like I need more time to find the perfect crepe/galette. To be perfectly clear, this man last night said "crepes" are said/associated with dessert and the flour used is different from a main course galette which looks like a crepe but uses different flour and all that.

0 comments: